The Emergency Broadband Benefit (EBB) Program, which provided struggling Americans with discounts on internet access or cell phone service during the COVID-19 Pandemic, really highlighted how access to reliable wireless connection is essential for people to work, study, or just live.
Starting December 31st, 2021, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) announced the EBB would be replaced by the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP). What does that mean for qualifying Americans? Discounts on cell phone service are here to stay!
So, Has the EBB Program Really ended?
The EBB program was a limited-time COVID-19 relief that connected 4.7 million people to their communities during the health crisis. Is it really gone? We like to say it’s been made better.
The ACP and EBB program are alike, but the main difference is that the ACP is not an emergency response. It is a long-lasting government program backed by a healthy budget to support our nation’s communication networks.
For the millions American homes left over who did not know they qualify for legit discounts on internet access and cell phone service this transition is an opportunity.
What is the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP)?
According to the Universal Service Administrative Co. (USAC), the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) is a government benefits program created by Congress to give disadvantaged Americans discounts on internet access and cell phone services.
- The Emergency Broadband Benefit (EBB) Program has been renamed as Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP).
- $30 per month is the new discount amount for ACP recipients.
- Households with an income at or below 200% of the federal poverty guideline may qualify.
- More government benefits programs may qualify you.
How to Qualify
You may qualify for discounts on cell phone service in several ways. The easiest way to know if you qualify is:
- By participating in Lifeline (LL), Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Medicaid, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Veterans Pension or Survivors Pension, WIC, and more.
- By having an income at or below 200% of federal poverty guideline
- By unemployment
Q Link Wireless Gets Behind the ACP
We’re planning to continue to power our 2 million plus subscribers with free and unlimited cell phone service possible on our network– one of America’s largest and most reliable network! And with the emergence of the ACP, we hope to give unlimited power to many, many, more.
Not sure you qualify? Apply and find out if you qualify for free and unlimited cell phone service.
Stay connected by visiting us online or following us on Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube!