If you’re an avid Android app user, you’ll definitely reach the point of no more storage space. And if you have, the last thing you want to do is start deleting apps that you use all the time.
Fortunately, Android has built-in settings that allow you to free up storage space on your phone without deleting the apps you use or losing valuable pictures & videos. Here are three helpful tips to manage your phone’s storage:
1. Check to see which apps and files are taking up the most space.
Here’s how to find out much storage space apps and files are using:
- Go to Settings > Storage to see how much storage is available. There, you’ll see a list of how much storage is available. You’ll also see a list of types of storage (apps, audio & video, photos, etc.) and how much space each type is using on your phone.
- On that list, tap Downloads to see the files you’ve downloaded. You can select the files you want to delete and choose the Delete icon at the top to get rid of these files.
- To find out how much space apps are using, go back to the Storage menu and tap They appear in order of how much space the app takes up, with the ones using the most space on the top. To save space, try these options:
- Clear Cache: A phone’s cache stores files so a website or app loads more quickly. By clearing the cache, you can free up space on your phone.
- Clear Data: Clearing data can give you more space on your phone, but be carefully it will wipe out your settings, login info, game progress, etc. Some apps (like Facebook & Twitter) are automatically backed up online, so once you log in, all your information and settings will be saved.
2. Copy photos and videos from your phone to a computer or to the cloud.
To free up space on your phone, you can copy pictures and videos to a computer or laptop. Another benefit of doing this is that you’ll have a backup of your photos if you lose your phone or it breaks. After making copies, you can delete them from your phone.
Back them up to your computer:
- Connect your phone to your computer using a USB cable.
- Once your phone is plugged in, you’ll see a pop-up showing your phone’s folders.
- Navigate to the folder that contains your images (Usually it’s called the DCIM folder) and open it.
- Click & drag each image to transfer it to your computer.
Or even easier:
- Use an app like Google Photos to back up your photos to the cloud so you can delete them from your phone.
- After backing up photos using Google Photos, go to the app’s menu and choose Free up space. Google Photos will find the photos that are already backed up and ask if you want to remove them from your phone.
3. Adjust the settings in your camera app so your pictures and videos are smaller in file size.
Your camera app should have settings for the size of your pictures and videos. Open your camera app and tap the settings icon in the upper left. There, you can adjust the following settings to save space on your phone:
- Picture Size: You can choose either a smaller or higher megapixel setting. While a higher megapixel gives you a sharper picture, it also takes up more space.
- Video Quality: Most camera apps let you choose the image quality. The higher resolution you choose, the more space the files take up. Plus, video files are much larger than pictures, so be careful to not take long videos.
Use these tips to free up space on your Android phone so you can keep using it for the things you need.
Don’t have a smartphone? You may qualify for a free smartphone with free monthly service so you’re available for your kids at any time, from Q Link Wireless. Signing up is fast and easy. You’ll qualify if you receive:
- Food stamps (SNAP/EBT)
- Social Security (SSI)
- Section 8
- VA Pension or Survivors Pension
- Low income.
Click here to sign up and get 3 Gigs of Data, plus UNLIMITED talk & text. Q Link Wireless is the nation;s fastest growing provider of the Federal Lifeline Assistance program.
To receive FREE phone service, you first must be approved through the National Verifier. You can bring your own phone and keep your number to experience our 5G network coverage. We will ship you a FREE SIM Card Kit so you can get UNLIMITED talk & text if you already participate in government programs such as SNAP and Medicaid. Once approved, you can begin the phone activation process to receive FREE phone service online.